Purpose of the Job
Knowledge of safety, wheelchair lifts procedures, hookup and seat belts, emergency procedures, defensive driving skills. Performs pre-trip inspections daily (CDL may be required). Reports any safety and mechanical issues to the Mechanic or Operations Manager. Ensure passenger satisfaction and display a positive organizational image. Function in a timely and efficient manner.
ESSTENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Conduct daily pre-trip inspection. Daily inspection forms turned in at the end of the month.
- Plan and check daily schedule. Recommend changes for routes.
- Follow wheelchair lift procedures, wheelchair hookups and seat belt per passenger.
- Follow emergency procedures.
- Obey traffic laws.
- Practice defensive driving procedures.
- Mentally and physically capable of operating a vehicle.
- Practice approved passenger assistance techniques.
- Sensitive to the needs of elderly and disabled passengers, patient and caring attitude at all times.
- Maintain up-to-date and accurate records
- Knowledge of using radios and/or cell phones.
- Schedule and complete maintenance as requested by the Transportation Director and/or Maintenance. Report and follow-up on any maintenance problems.
- Report any suspected act of abuse, neglect or any action not in compliance with existing policy or regulation.
- Report any accident/incident and complete the documentation. Must have knowledge of the media procedures.
- Consult with your supervisor about any desire for personal growth and development through further education and/or training.
- Insure that our families, those served, customers, staff, vendors are treated with utmost courtesy and professionalism through excellent customer service, communication skills and by being a team player.
- Annually review your job description and recommend changes as needed.
- Keep abreast of all changes within the realm of your responsibilities.
- Represent the agency in professional associations or in community activities as requested
- Support and endorse the agency’s safety program.
- Maintain open communication, communicate trends, problems, give recommendations, and ask for appropriate advice and counsel.
- Keep work organized and clean (vehicle & parking area).
- Professionally represent the agency’s mission, vision, and value statements.
- Support the success of the agency.
- Other duties as required or requested.
High School diploma or GED
Interest in working with persons with developmentally disabilities and /or the elderly.
Skills and Abilities:
Must be able to do multiple tasks simultaneously, perform pre-trip inspections, communication skills knowledge of wheelchair lift procedures, hookup and seat belts, knowledge of emergency procedures, defensive driving skills, be able to obtain a CDL driver’s license (if required) or Class B operator’s license with passenger endorsement. Must be able to pass a MN DOT approved physical exam, have a mechanical aptitude and participate in a Drug/Alcohol Program. Ability to build and develop relationships through excellent customer service skills and must be a team player. Have good organizational skills, physical ability to lift 50 lbs. or more. Possess a valid driver’s license. PAI conducts a MVR and a background checks for anyone accepting the position. If the checks result in an unsatisfactory report the offer of employment will be rescinded.
ACTIVITIES OF THE POSITION
Perform driver pre-trip inspections, communicate safety to passengers, knowledge of wheelchair lift procedures, hookup & seat belts, knowledge of emergency procedures, defensive driving skills, ability to become CPR, 1st Aid certified CDL License if required. Willing to participate in programs for self-development. Provide superior customer service and be a team player, will be a mandated reporter, will participate in light maintenance duties, and function in a timely and efficient manner.
The Driver of the will be compensated by a set hourly wage. This is to be considered a non-exempt position.
EOE We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. All employment is based on qualifications, merit, and business need.